30 minute dinner: Healthy fried riceNext Post Recipes Back
My version of healthy fried rice is a perfect alternative to takeout.
I craved Chinese takeout a lot during my second pregnancy so this was one of my go-to’s. It’s packed full of nutrient-dense vegetables and protein. And with brown rice and cauliflower “rice” as an alternative to white rice, it’s full of nutrients you need, without the empty calories. Remember, white carbs are “empty” calories that contribute to excessive weight gain during pregnancy. When you can substitute with protein or a whole grain alternative, you’re always better off.
Now with 2 kids, this is still a go-to for me. It’s perfect to use up a lot of veggies. Or when I only have a few minutes to whip something together!
What you need
1 cup brown rice
12 oz cauliflower “rice” (I like to buy frozen so it’s pre-done for you)
1 cup sliced mushrooms
1 cup broccoli florets
1 carrot, coarsely grated
1/2 medium bell pepper, cubed
1 lb organic ground chicken (or beef)
1 tbsp coconut oil
1 tbsp sea salt
2 tbsp sesame seed oil
2 tbsp black sesame seeds
1 clove garlic, minced
What to do
1. Rinse and drain the rice. Put the rice in a small saucepan with 2 cups of water.
2. Put the saucepan on high heat until the water boils.
3. Once the water boils, turn heat to low and cover with a saucepan lid. Turn off the heat once the water has dried up. Keep an eye on the rice, this should take about 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, chop your vegetables.
5. In a large skillet, melt coconut oil over medium-high heat. Place in garlic and quickly sauté.
6. Place in carrots. Sauté for 3 minutes.
7. Place in bell peppers and mushrooms. Sauté for 2 minutes.
8. Place in ground meat. Season with salt. Sauté until chicken has been cooked through, about 4 minutes.
9. Place in broccoli and cauliflower “rice”. Sauté for 3-5 mins.
10. Turn off the heat. Drizzle sesame seed oil and mix in the sesame seeds.
11. Mix the brown rice through with the meat and veggies. Serve and enjoy!
Want to watch me make it?